1 Corinthians 12:7-11
But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit with.…
Note the specific methods of the Spirit's operation —
I. IN THE CHURCH.
1. As a breath, wind. See Ezekiel's vision of the valley, Christ breathing on His disciples, and the rushing, mighty wind of Pentecost. Symbol of life, quickening inspiration.
2. Refreshment. Water the type. "If any man thirst," " I will pour water," etc. Fertilising, cleansing of the outward.
3. Inward purifying. Fire the symbol. "He shall baptize with . . . fire." "I am come to send fire on earth." Also of vital warmth, zeal, fervour.
4. Consecration. Anointing. Oil the type. Settling apart, enduing with power.
II. WITH THE WORLD.
1. A reprover (John 16:8-11).
2. Strives with men (Genesis 6:3; Acts 7:51).
3. Enlightens by revealing Christ.
4. Regenerates by awakening faith in Christ.
Parallel VersesKJV: But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.