The counsel of the LORD stands for ever, the thoughts of his heart to all generations.
I. GOD HAS THOUGHTS.
1. Independent — in their origin, character, manifestation.
2. Complete: they grasp the whole of a thing, and the whole of all things.
3. Unsuccessive: one thought does not start another, as in our ease.
II. GOD HAS THOUGHTS FOR HUMANITY. Three things are necessary before humanity can get any benefit from his thoughts —
1. God must reveal them. Unless He express them we shall never know them.
2. There must be a capacity to appreciate them. Without this capacity the revelation is useless.
3. There must be meditation. We cannot reach the great thoughts of a great man without study; how, then, can we expect to attain the thoughts of God without it?
III. GOD'S THOUGHTS FOR HUMANITY ARE PERMANENT.
1. Because they embody absolute truths. They will always be what they are; they never can change.
2. Because they will ever be congruous with the moral nature. They are to the moral nature what air and water are to the body, fitted for it, and necessary to it, Without them it will die.
Parallel VersesKJV: The counsel of the LORD standeth for ever, the thoughts of his heart to all generations.