For to us a child is born, to us a son is given: and the government shall be on his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful…
I. Christ shall be called Wonderful FOR WHAT HE WAS IN THE PAST.
1. Consider His eternal existence, "begotten of His Father from before all worlds," being of the same substance with His Father; begotten, not made, co-equal, co-eternal, in every attribute, "very God of very God."
2. Consider, again, the incarnation of Christ, and you will rightly say that His name deserveth to be called Wonderful.
3. Trace the Saviour's course, and all the way He is wonderful.
4. Christ is surpassingly wonderful.
5. He is not a nine days' wonder. He is and ever shall be wonderful. He is altogether wonderful.
6. He is universally wondered at.
II. He is Wonderful FOR WHAT HE IS IN THE PRESENT.
III. His name shall be called Wonderful IN THE FUTURE. As the Judge.
( C. H. Spurgeon.)
Parallel VersesKJV: For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counseller, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.