In him was life; and the life was the light of men.
I. CHRIST IS THE SOURCE OF LIFE AS HE IS THE CREATOR OF EXISTENCE.
1. This is true in the widest sense.
2. He is Creator, not by delegation, but as Principle.
3. This claim He vindicated in His miracles.
II. CHRIST IS THE SOURCE OF LIFE AS HE IS THE REDEEMER OF HUMAN EXISTENCE.
1. This is the one rational explanation of His death.
2. Redemption is by price.
3. Redemption is also by power.
III. MAN'S TRUE LIFE CONSISTS IN HIS UNION WITH CHRIST.
1. There is no true human life apart from God.
2. This true human life we forfeited by sin.
3. But we recover it in Christ.
Parallel VersesKJV: In him was life; and the life was the light of men.