Let them shout for joy, and be glad, that favor my righteous cause: yes, let them say continually, Let the LORD be magnified…
I. HERE IS GOD'S FEELING TOWARDS MAN'S WELFARE. He has pleasure in his prosperity. This proves to us —
1. God's interest in our existence.
2. God's goodwill towards our state.
3. God's evident willingness to help.
II. HERE IS MAN'S TRUE WELL-BEING — "Prosperity." The true prosperity of a soul is its spiritual vitality, and this manifests itself —
1. By an ever-growing love towards religious exercises.
2. By a deepening apprehension of Divine realities. That which was dark becomes light; that which was obscure stands out in living reality.
3. By an increasing delight in Christian work. A prosperous soul is active in the performance of acts of charity and kindness.
4. By an increasing development of a Christlike character. The prosperous Christian grows, and becomes daily more like Christ in thought, word, and action.
5. By a constant accession of peace, contentment, and joy.
III. HERE IS MAN'S MANIFEST DUTY — "Let the Lord be magnified." It is a blessed privilege to have a God who is well disposed to His people. The imaginary gods of the heathen were always ill-disposed. They were gods of cruelty, malevolence, and evil, who needed to be propitiated by many a cruel rite. What a glorious idea we have of God! One who has pleasure in the prosperity of His people. He delights to see them happy and growing in grace, and all good gifts. He will not that any should be lost. Surely, then, we ought to magnify Him — in our words and songs of praise; in our lives and example; in our characters and sacrifice. We should give our whole time and energy and strength to His work.
Parallel VersesKJV: Let them shout for joy, and be glad, that favour my righteous cause: yea, let them say continually, Let the LORD be magnified, which hath pleasure in the prosperity of his servant.