And Noah began to be an farmer, and he planted a vineyard:…
I. A SINFUL ACT CASTING A GLOOM OVER A PURE LIFE.
1. That sin-stricken humanity cannot reach perfection in the present life.
2. That a man is not invariably influenced by society. Noah stood firm as a rock against the multitude, but now in his own tent falls.
3. That witnessing the greatest judgments, and experiencing the tenderest mercies of God, will not preserve us from sin.
II. A SENSUAL ACT RIGHTLY PUNISHED.
1. This act is an index of a debased mind.
2. It shows an indifference as to the means of gratifying his sinful propensity.
3. The punishment is degrading to himself and to his descendants.
III. A VIRTUOUS ACT WELL REWARDED.
1. The commendation of their own conscience.
2. The blessing of an aged father.
3. The approbation of God.
Parallel VersesKJV: And Noah began to be an husbandman, and he planted a vineyard: