The Congregational Pulpit
And it came to pass after these things, that God did tempt Abraham, and said to him, Abraham: and he said, Behold, here I am.…
I. THE SACRIFICE DEMANDED BY GOD.
1. That which was prized the most.
2. That which tested faith the most.
3. That which God gave Himself.
II. THE WAY IN WHICH THIS SACRIFICE WAS RENDERED BY ABRAHAM.
1. It was rendered promptly. "And Abraham rose up early in the morning."
2. It was rendered prayerfully. "Abide ye here, and I and the lad will go yonder and worship." Prayer prepares for sacrifice.
3. It was rendered heroically (vers. 8, 9).
4. It was rendered observantly. "The place which God had told him of." "Laid the weed in order."
III. THE ULTIMATE SACRIFICE ACCEPTED BY GOD.
1. It was substitutionary.
2. It was sufficient.
(The Congregational Pulpit.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And it came to pass after these things, that God did tempt Abraham, and said unto him, Abraham: and he said, Behold, here I am.