For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,…
I. AN EXALTED CHARACTER.
II. AN INTERESTING EVENT.
1. His own appearing will be glorious. "His countenance will be as the sun shineth in his strength."
2. The manner of His appearing will be glorious. He will take the clouds for His chariot; He will come in the clouds with power and great glory.
3. The attendants at His appearing will be glorious. An innumerable multitude of celestial spirits will grace His train and perform His will.
4. The circumstances of His appearing will be glorious. The heavens will pass away with a great noise; the dead shall be raised; the Son of Man shall ascend His great tribunal, and before Him shall be gathered all nations; the final sentence will be pronounced and executed.
III. A JOYFUL EXPECTATION.
1. The hope of a blessed resurrection.
2. The hope of a blessed mansion.
3. The hope of a blessed society.
4. The hope of obtaining the most blessed enjoyments.
5. The hope of being employed in the most blessed services.
IV. THE BELIEVER'S CONDUCT in the prospect of this blessedness. "Looking for that blessed hope," etc. What is meant by this expression?
1. It includes a full conviction of the certainty of Christ's appearing. The ground of our persuasion is the Word of God. Our faith is built on the Divine testimony.
2. To look for the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ is to love and desire His appearing.
3. To look for the appearing of Jesus Christ is to wait patiently for it.
4. In looking for the appearing of Christ the believer makes it His constant study to be always ready for His appearing, so to have his lamps trimmed that he may be prepared, at a moment's warning, to meet the bridegroom.
Parallel VersesKJV: For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,