But I know you, that you have not the love of God in you.
I. HERE IS AN AWFUL CHARGE. "Ye have not," etc. To whom does this apply?
1. To those who are habitually .unmindful of Him. Our thoughts as naturally follow the object of our regard as the needle the loadstone. Says David, "I love Thee, O Lord, my strength." Observe what follows: "How precious are Thy thoughts unto me," etc. But of the wicked it is said, "God is not in all their thoughts."
2. To those who do not trust in Him. We cannot confide in one we dislike, and we know not how to distrust one whom we truly esteem.
3. To those who are unconcerned for His honour and interest. Is our friend misrepresented? We naturally stand forth in his defence; we could not see him injured or wronged without pain, and Without endeavouring to have him righted. But what lamentable unconcern do we witness for God and the things of God!
4. To those who are indifferent about His presence and favour. We value the regard of those who are dear to us.
II. CONSIDER THEIR SIN AND DANGER. God has the highest claims to our love, and not to love Him is a sin of no ordinary magnitude.
1. It is a most comprehensive sin. Love is the fulfilling of the whole law, and hence the want of it is a sin which violates the whole law. It is the want of everything that is morally good, the root of all evil, the spring or root of all disobedience.
2. It is a most inexcusable sin. For can any plead want of ability? Is not the passion of love implanted in our nature?
3. It is a most ruinous and destructive sin. All who die without love to God must be excluded from His presence, shut out from His kingdom.Apply the subject —
1. To those who are destitute of this love. Humble yourselves before God.
2. To those whose love to God is low and languid. Let them seek to have it revived and invigorated by a contemplation of the Divine excellencies — grace and love — as displayed in the great Mediator.
3. To those whose love to God is increasing. "If any man love God, the same is known of him."
Parallel VersesKJV: But I know you, that ye have not the love of God in you.