A new commandment I give to you, That you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another.
I. WHY IS THIS CALLED NEW?
1. Negatively. Not as if it was not enjoined before (1 John 2; John 7; 2 John 5; Leviticus 19:18).
(1) Newly freed from the false glosses of the Jews (Matthew 5:43-44).
(2) Newly infused into the heart as well as commanded.
(3) Christ adds a new authority to it, and a new obligation on us.
(4) Because it is so excellent (Psalm 32:3).
(5) It is to be performed according to a new pattern, viz., Christ's love to us.
II. BY WHAT POWER DOES CHRIST LAY HIS COMMANDS UPON US?
1. AS God (John 20:28).
2. As King and head of the Church (Matthew 28:18).
III. WHAT LOVE IS IT WE SHOULD HAVE TO ONE ANOTHER?
1. Pray for one another (1 Timothy 2:1).
2. Forgive one another (Matthew 6:14).
3. Help one another.
(1) In temporals (Matthew 7:11).
(2) In spirituals (Leviticus 19:17).
4. Sympathize with one another.
(1) In prosperity (Romans 12:15).
(2) In adversity.
5. Relieve one another's necessities
(1) In obedience to God (1 John 3:17).
(2) Proportionably to our estates (1 Corinthians 16:2).
(3) Humbly, not thinking to merit thereby (Luke 17:10).
IV. HOW IS CHRIST'S LOVE TO US TO BE A PATTERN FOR OUR LOVE?
(1) Not that we can suffer so much for others as He has done for us.
(2) Nor do so much; for He has obtained the pardon of our sins (1 John 2:2); peace with God (Romans 5:1); heaven (John 14:2).
(1) Our love must proceed from the same principles.
(2) In the same manner.
(a) Readily (Titus 3:1; Psalm 40:7, 8).
(b) Sincerely. —
(c) Effectually, in deeds as well as words (1 John 4:18).
(d) Humbly, thinking nothing too low for us to do for others (Philippians 2:6-8).
(e) Constantly (ver. 1).
(3) To the same objects, His enemies (Romans 8-10).
(4) To the same ends
(a) God's glory (John 17:4; 1 Corinthians 10:31).
(b) Others good (Acts 10:38).
V. Use. Consider —
1. Unless you love others you have no love for God (1 John 3:17).
2. It is the fulfilling of all the law (Romans 13:9).
3. No duty is accepted without it (1 Corinthians 13:1-3).
4. It is the badge of a Christian (ver. 35).
5. It is an everlasting grace (1 Corinthians 13:8, 13).
6. Christ will judge us according to this command (Matthew 25:45).
Parallel VersesKJV: A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.