If there arise among you a prophet, or a dreamer of dreams, and gives you a sign or a wonder,…
I. THAT NO INSTRUMENTALITY IS OF ANY REAL SERVICE TO MAN, AS MAN, THAT DOES NOT PROMOTE IN HIM A RIGHT SOVEREIGN AFFECTION.
1. Every man is under some one dominant affection. Love of —
(4) Knowledge. Man's loves are his sovereign laws.
2. A wrong dominant affection in a man will neutralise the highest services that may be rendered to him.
II. THAT THE ONLY RIGHT SOVEREIGN AFFECTION IS SUPREME LOVE FOR THE SUPREMELY GOOD. All goodness streams from God as all light from the sun. Ought He not, then, to be extremely loved?
III. THAT THE ONLY PULPIT THAT IS OF ANY REAL SERVICE TO MAN IS THAT WHICH GENERATES AND FOSTERS THIS SOVEREIGN AFFECTION.
1. It is the pulpit that works into man the conviction that God loves men, though sinners.
2. It is the pulpit that exhibits God as essentially good and benevolent in Himself.
Parallel VersesKJV: If there arise among you a prophet, or a dreamer of dreams, and giveth thee a sign or a wonder,