And did see the affliction of our fathers in Egypt, and heard their cry by the Red sea;
I. THAT THE PATH OF HUMAN DUTY HERE RUNS THROUGH GREAT TRIALS.
1. Sometimes it involves the sacrifice of endeared friendship. Lot had to separate from Abraham, Barnabas from Paul, Paul from Mark.
2. Sometimes it involves the sacrifice of worldly prospects.
3. Sometimes it involves the endangering of life itself.
4. Sometimes it involves an outrage on our tender sentiments. Abraham offering up Isaac.
II. THAT GREAT TRIALS THROUGH WHICH THE PATH OF DUTY HERE RUNS SERVE TO TEST THE PRINCIPLES OF THE PILGRIMS.
1. It reveals the bad principles of the heart. The Jews at the Red Sea revealed their ingratitude, meanness, aspostasy, cowardice,
2. It reveals the good principles of the heart.
III. THAT UNBOUNDED FAITH IN GOD IS ESSENTIAL TO CARRY US SAFELY 'THROUGH THE PATH OF DUTY WITH ALL ITS GREAT TRIALS.
Parallel VersesKJV: And didst see the affliction of our fathers in Egypt, and heardest their cry by the Red sea;