Essex Congregational Remembrancer
Then Joshua called the Reubenites, and the Gadites, and the half tribe of Manasseh,…
I. THE STATE OF MIND WHICH THE ERECTION OF THIS ALTAR EXCITED IN THE OTHER TRIBES.
1. Zeal for the honour of God.
2. Fear lest they should incur the Divine displeasure.
II. THE REAL DESIGN FOR WHICH THE ALTAR WAS ERECTED.
1. It was a memorial that they were one people.
2. It was a memorial that they had one God and one religion.Lessons:
1. These Israelites, by setting up this altar, show their love to the service and worship of God. Had they not valued their privileges, it would not have occurred to them to provide against the possibility of losing them: that which we value we endeavour to keep.
2. They show their love to their brethren. Had they not felt a regard for them, they would not have sought means to preserve the know ledge of their common relation to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. They who sincerely love God will love their brethren, and love will secure unity; but not at the expense of purity.
(Essex Congregational Remembrancer.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Then Joshua called the Reubenites, and the Gadites, and the half tribe of Manasseh,