And he spoke a parable to them, saying, The ground of a certain rich man brought forth plentifully:…
I. WHERE RIGHT.
1. It was right that his ground should bring forth plentifully. Industry, &c.
2. It was right that he reflect, "What shall I do?" Common sense.
II. WHERE WRONG.
1. He was wrong when he said, "I have no room." Not barn-room, but soul-room, life-room. He measured his room by measuring his barn.
2. He was wrong when he said, "My fruits and my goods; my soul." That was all wrong. He was not his own.
3. He was wrong when he said, "And I will say to my soul, Soul, thou hast much goods laid up for many years." He had the goods, but not the years.
4. He was wrong when he said, "I will say to my soul... Take thine case." Here the man was all animal. The mistake was, that he had left God out of account in his calculations.
Parallel VersesKJV: And he spake a parable unto them, saying, The ground of a certain rich man brought forth plentifully: