Sketches of Sermons
1 Corinthians 15:34
Awake to righteousness, and sin not; for some have not the knowledge of God: I speak this to your shame.
I. THE KNOWLEDGE. OF GOD.
1. There is a knowledge of God obtained by reflecting on His works.
2. There is a knowledge of God obtained by perusing His Word.
3. There is a knowledge of God by a revelation of Himself to the mind. This knowledge has been usually termed experimental.
II. SOME HAVE NOT THIS KNOWLEDGE.
1. Avowed infidels have not the knowledge of God.
2. Profligate sinners have not the knowledge of God.
3. Nominal Christians have not the knowledge of God.
III. THIS WAS SPOKEN TO THEIR SHAME.
1. Consider the object of this knowledge. A Being who unites in Himself all possible perfections. How disgraceful to live in ignorance of God!
2. Consider the congeniality of this knowledge with the nature of man. Our first parents were invested with a large share of it; and the human soul was formed for its possession.
3. Consider the means afforded us for obtaining this knowledge.
4. Consider the ease with which this knowledge may be secured. Human knowledge is often obtained with difficulty.
5. Consider the happiness which you will forego, and the misery you will share, by living without this knowledge.We conclude by observing —
1. How important is the knowledge of God! How insignificant is human science when put into competition with this!
2. How solicitous should we be to ascertain whether we are in the possession of this knowledge.
3. How shameful to live without the knowledge of God!
(Sketches of Sermons.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Awake to righteousness, and sin not; for some have not the knowledge of God: I speak this to your shame.