I have trodden the wine press alone; and of the people there was none with me: for I will tread them in my anger…
I. THE INTERESTING FIGURE EMPLOYED. "I have trodden the winepress." This is Jesus speaking after HIS conquest over HIS foes,
1. This denotes the supreme contempt with which the mighty Conqueror regarded the enemies whom He had overcome. It is as if He had said, "I compare My victory over them to nothing but the treading of the winepress."
2. There is in the figure an intimation of toil and labour; for the fruit of the vine is not bruised without hard work. So the mighty Conqueror, though, in contempt, He says His foes were as nothing but the grapes of the vintage to His might; yet, speaking as a man like unto us, He had something to do to overcome His foes.
3. Moreover, there is an allusion to the staining of the garments.
II. THE GLORIOUS FACT STATED. "I have trodden the winepress."
III. THE SOLITARY CONQUEROR DESCRIBED. "I have trodden the winepress alone."
IV. SOME SWEET AND SALUTARY CONSIDERATIONS SUGGESTED BY THIS SUBJECT.
1. The first inference is, there is no winepress of Divine wrath for thee, O believer, to tread.
2. There are winepresses of suffering, although not of punish. ment, which thou wilt have to tread. But I want thee to remember that thou wilt; not have to tread these winepresses alone.
3. But since Jesus trod the winepress alone, I beseech you give all things to Him. Alone He suffered; will you not love Him alone? Alone He trod the winepress; will you not serve Him? Alone He purchased your redemption; will you not be His property, and His alone?
( C. H. Spurgeon.)
Parallel VersesKJV: I have trodden the winepress alone; and of the people there was none with me: for I will tread them in mine anger, and trample them in my fury; and their blood shall be sprinkled upon my garments, and I will stain all my raiment.
WEB: "I have trodden the winepress alone; and of the peoples there was no man with me: yes, I trod them in my anger, and trampled them in my wrath; and their lifeblood is sprinkled on my garments, and I have stained all my clothing.