God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spoke in time past to the fathers by the prophets,…
I. THE UNIVERSAL REQUIREMENT. The nature and character of all created things is their inability to sustain themselves.
1. Material things. All are governed by law, and each has its own laws, by which all its actions and purposes are governed.
2. Animal life. "The eyes of all wait upon Thee," &e.
3. Human existence. Not a breath is drawn but is given by God. Not a thought passes through the mind, nor a throb animates the heart without His Divine direction and supervision.
II. THE ALMIGHTY INSTRUMENT.
1. The Divine power. It is not susceptible of failure. Consider its vastness, different developments, continuity.
2. The method of manifesting this power. No exertion. No manual labour.
Parallel VersesKJV: God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,