And being let go, they went to their own company, and reported all that the chief priests and elders had said to them.
The crystallising power in nature. What we call the force of gravitation is a force most mysterious and constant. But the force of gravitation is simple compared with this many-sided ramifying force of crystallisation. The reason — ultimate particles of matter are seeking their own company; these ultimate particles of matter are possessed of attractive and repellent poles; and as these atomic poles attract or repel each other the shape of the crystal is determined. There is as well a certain crystallising power sovereign in society. Men and women have attractive and repellent poles. By means of this social crystallising power many and various social shapes are being formed — not always beautiful and noble, sometimes evil, ugly, disastrous. Concerning this crystallising fact and force in society, in the light of this narrative, consider —
1. Hindrance. See whole narrative as to how Peter and John were hindered from going to their own company. So, often, we are somehow hindered from seeking the company really most congenial to us. Work, social requirements, regard for reputation, lack of money, hinder. Apply to young men, etc.
2. Permission. "And being let go" — work ceases, social requirements allow, special danger to reputation passes, wages are paid. Men are free.
3. Like goes to like. Character asserts itself. These apostles went to the company of the pure because they were pure.
(1) It is a man's own company which nurtures what is predominant in him.
(2) A man's own company discloses him to others.
(3) A man's own company discloses him to himself.
(4) A man's own company is the test of the regenerate life. We know that we have passed from death unto life if we love the brethren.
(5) A man's own company settles his destiny.
Parallel VersesKJV: And being let go, they went to their own company, and reported all that the chief priests and elders had said unto them.