Let not your heart be troubled: you believe in God, believe also in me.…
I. GOD'S MOST FAITHFUL SERVANTS ARE SUBJECT TO TROUBLES OF HEART.
1. What troubles?
(1) Inward, arising from —
(a) Sin (Psalm 51:4-8).
(b) Corruption (Romans 7:24).
(2) Outward, which are —
(a) Spiritual: Christ's absence.
(b) Temporal: outward afflictions (Lamentations 1:4).
2. The reason.
(1) Weakness of faith.
(2) Imperfection of other graces.
II. FAITH IN GOD AND CHRIST IS THE BEST CORDIAL TO A TROUBLED HEART.
1. It is the surest and most infallible (Matthew 11:28).
2. The strongest (Isaiah 59:1).
3. The pleasantest (1 Peter 1:8).
4. The readiest (Psalm 46:1).
5. The most suitable (Isaiah 43:2, 3).
6. The most constant (Hebrews 13:5).
7. The most universal.
III. APPLY THIS to —
1. Temporal troubles. Art thou troubled with —
(a) Faith is the best riches (James 2:5).
(b) It will turn thy very poverty into a blessing (Romans 8:28).
(a) By faith thou mayest see the emptiness of honour (Psalm 42:11).
(b) Faith will procure thee honour (Hebrews 1:14; 1 Samuel 2:30).
(3) Sickness and pains.? By faith —
(a) Thou mayest see God's love in them (Hebrews 12:6).
(b) Thou mayest get good by them (Psalm 119:71).
(c) Thou mayest receive more comfort in them than in health.
(4) Losses and crosses?
(a) Faith will show thee from whence they came (Job 1:21).
(b) Why (Hebrews 12:10).
(c) And so turn them to thy gain (2 Corinthians 4:17).
(5) Fears of death? Faith will show thee —
(a) That the sting is out (1 Corinthians 15:55).
(b) That death is but the entrance of life.
(c) And so turn thy fears into hopes (Philippians 1:23).
2. In spiritual troubles. Art thou troubled —
(1) For thy sins?
(a) God is merciful (Psalm 103:8; Isaiah 43:25).
(b) Christ is all-sufficient (1 John 2:1).
(2) With thy lusts?
(a) God is almighty.
(b) Christ will send His Spirit (chap. John 16:7).
(c) Faith conquers them (1 John 5:4).
(3) With desertions? If thou believest —
(a) God will never forsake thee wholly (John 13:1; Hebrews 13:5).
(b) Christ will pray that thy faith fail not (Luke 22:31, 32).
Parallel VersesKJV: Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me.