New American Standard Bible
but one who is married is concerned about the things of the world, how he may please his wife,
King James Bible
But he that is married careth for the things that are of the world, how he may please his wife.
Darby Bible Translation
but he that has married cares for the things of the world, how he shall please his wife.
World English Bible
but he who is married is concerned about the things of the world, how he may please his wife.
Young's Literal Translation
and the married is anxious for the things of the world, how he shall please the wife.
1 Corinthians 7:33 Parallel
CommentaryBarnes' Notes on the Bible
careth for the things of the world - Is under a necessity of giving attention to the things of the world; or cannot give his undivided attention and interest to the things of religion. This would be especially true in times of persecution.
How he may please his wife - How he may gratify her; how he may accommodate himself to her temper and wishes, to make her happy. The apostle here plainly intimates that there would be danger that the man would be so anxious to gratify his wife, as to interfere with his direct religious duties. This may be done in many ways:
(1) The affections may be taken off from the Lord, and bestowed upon the wife. she may become the object of even improper attachment, and may take the place of God in the affections.
(2) the time may be taken up in devotion to her, which should be given to secret prayer, and to the duties of religion.
(3) she may demand his "society and attention" when he ought to be engaged in doing good to others, and endeavoring to advance the kingdom of Christ.
(4) she may be frivilous and fashionable, and may lead him into improper expenses, into a style of living that may be unsuitable for a Christian, and into society where his piety will be injured, and his devotion to God lessened; or,
(5) She may have erroneous opinions on the doctrines and duties of religion; and a desire to please her may lead him insensibly to modify his views, and to adopt more lax opinions, and to pursue a more lax course of life in his religious duties.
Many a husband has thus been injured by a frivilous, thoughtless, and imprudent wife; and though that wife may be a Christian, yet her course may be such as shall greatly retard his growth in grace, and mar the beauty of his piety.
LibraryThe Christian Life
'Brethren, let every man, wherein he is called, therein abide with God.'--1 COR. vii. 24. You find that three times within the compass of a very few verses this injunction is repeated. 'As God hath distributed to every man,' says the Apostle in the seventeenth verse, 'as the Lord hath called every one, so let him walk. And so ordain I in all the churches.' Then again in the twentieth verse, 'Let every man abide in the same calling wherein he is called.' And then finally in our text. The reason for …
Alexander Maclaren—Romans, Corinthians (To II Corinthians, Chap. V)
How to Use the Present Life, and the Comforts of It.
Let Marriages Possess their Own Good, not that they Beget Sons...
And Now by Plainest Witnesses of Divine Scriptures...
"Another one said, 'I have married a wife, and for that reason I cannot come.'
"He flees because he is a hired hand and is not concerned about the sheep.
1 Corinthians 7:32
But I want you to be free from concern. One who is unmarried is concerned about the things of the Lord, how he may please the Lord;
1 Corinthians 7:34
and his interests are divided. The woman who is unmarried, and the virgin, is concerned about the things of the Lord, that she may be holy both in body and spirit; but one who is married is concerned about the things of the world, how she may please her husband.
Jump to PreviousAffairs Anxious Attention Business Careful Cares Careth Concerned Concerns Gives Married Please Pleasure Wife World Worldly
Jump to NextAffairs Anxious Attention Business Careful Cares Careth Concerned Concerns Gives Married Please Pleasure Wife World Worldly
Links1 Corinthians 7:33 NIV
1 Corinthians 7:33 NLT
1 Corinthians 7:33 ESV
1 Corinthians 7:33 NASB
1 Corinthians 7:33 KJV
1 Corinthians 7:33 Bible Apps
1 Corinthians 7:33 Biblia Paralela
1 Corinthians 7:33 Chinese Bible
1 Corinthians 7:33 French Bible
1 Corinthians 7:33 German Bible
1 Corinthians 7:33 Commentaries