New American Standard Bible
that the Christ was to suffer, and that by reason of His resurrection from the dead He would be the first to proclaim light both to the Jewish people and to the Gentiles."
King James Bible
That Christ should suffer, and that he should be the first that should rise from the dead, and should shew light unto the people, and to the Gentiles.
Darby Bible Translation
namely, whether Christ should suffer; whether he first, through resurrection of the dead, should announce light both to the people and to the nations.
World English Bible
how the Christ must suffer, and how, by the resurrection of the dead, he would be first to proclaim light both to these people and to the Gentiles."
Young's Literal Translation
that the Christ is to suffer, whether first by a rising from the dead, he is about to proclaim light to the people and to the nations.'
Acts 26:23 Parallel
CommentaryBarnes' Notes on the Bible
That Christ - That the Messiah expected by the Jews should be a suffering Messiah.
And that he should be the first ... - This declaration contains two points:
(2) that he would be the first that should rise. This cannot mean that the Messiah would be the first dead person who should be restored to life, for Elijah had raised the son of the Shunammite, and Jesus himself had raised Lazarus, and the widow's son at Nain. It does not mean that he would be the first in the order of time that should rise, but first in eminence; the most distinguished, the chief, the head of those who should rise from the dead - πρῶτος ἐξ ἀναστάσεως νεκρῶν prōtos ex anastaseōs nekrōn. In accordance with this he is called Colossians 1:18 "the beginning, the first-born from the dead," having among all the dead who should be raised up the pre-eminence of primogeniture, or what pertained to the first-born. In 1 Corinthians 15:20 he is called "the first fruits of them that slept. This declaration is therefore made of him by way of eminence:
(1) As being chief, a prince among those raised from the dead;
(2) As being raised by his own power John 10:18;
(3) As, by his rising, securing a dominion over death and the grave 1 Corinthians 15:25-26; and,
(4) As bringing, by his rising, life and immortality to light. He rose to return to death no more. And he thus secured an ascendency over death and the grave, and was thus, by way of eminence, first among those raised from the dead.
And should show light unto the people - To the Jews. Would be their instructor and prophet. This Moses had predicted, Deuteronomy 18:15.
And to the Gentiles - This had often been foretold by the prophets, and particularly by Isaiah, Isaiah 9:1-2; compare Matthew 4:14-16; Isaiah 11:10; Isaiah 42:1, Isaiah 42:6; Isaiah 54:3; Isaiah 60:3, Isaiah 60:5,Isaiah 60:11; Isaiah 61:6; Isaiah 62:2; Isaiah 66:12.
'And when we were all fallen to the earth, I heard a voice speaking unto me, and saying in the Hebrew tongue, Saul, Saul, why perseoutest thou Me! it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks.'--ACTS xxvi. 14. 'Can the Ethiopian change his skin, or the leopard his spots?' No. But God can change the skin, because He can change the nature. In this story of the conversion of the Apostle Paul--the most important thing that happened that day--we have an instance how brambles may become vines; tares …
Alexander Maclaren—Expositions of Holy Scripture: The Acts
'Me a Christian!'
The Advanced Christian Reminded of the Mercies of God, and Exhorted to the Exercise of Habitual Love to Him, and Joy in Him.
"I am the LORD, I have called you in righteousness, I will also hold you by the hand and watch over you, And I will appoint you as a covenant to the people, As a light to the nations,
He says, "It is too small a thing that You should be My Servant To raise up the tribes of Jacob and to restore the preserved ones of Israel; I will also make You a light of the nations So that My salvation may reach to the end of the earth."
"The Son of Man is to go, just as it is written of Him; but woe to that man by whom the Son of Man is betrayed! It would have been good for that man if he had not been born."
A LIGHT OF REVELATION TO THE GENTILES, And the glory of Your people Israel."
"But the things which God announced beforehand by the mouth of all the prophets, that His Christ would suffer, He has thus fulfilled.
"And likewise, all the prophets who have spoken, from Samuel and his successors onward, also announced these days.
1 Corinthians 15:20
But now Christ has been raised from the dead, the first fruits of those who are asleep.
Jump to PreviousAnnounce Christ Dead First Gentiles Gentiles Jewish Light Message Namely Pain Proclaim Reason Resurrection Rise Shew Show Suffer Suffering Whether
Jump to NextAnnounce Christ Dead First Gentiles Gentiles Jewish Light Message Namely Pain Proclaim Reason Resurrection Rise Shew Show Suffer Suffering Whether
LinksActs 26:23 NIV
Acts 26:23 NLT
Acts 26:23 ESV
Acts 26:23 NASB
Acts 26:23 KJV
Acts 26:23 Bible Apps
Acts 26:23 Biblia Paralela
Acts 26:23 Chinese Bible
Acts 26:23 French Bible
Acts 26:23 German Bible
Acts 26:23 Commentaries