New American Standard Bible
Therefore, laying aside falsehood, SPEAK TRUTH EACH ONE of you WITH HIS NEIGHBOR, for we are members of one another.
King James Bible
Wherefore putting away lying, speak every man truth with his neighbour: for we are members one of another.
Darby Bible Translation
Wherefore, having put off falsehood, speak truth every one with his neighbour, because we are members one of another.
World English Bible
Therefore, putting away falsehood, speak truth each one with his neighbor. For we are members of one another.
Young's Literal Translation
Wherefore, putting away the lying, speak truth each with his neighbour, because we are members one of another;
Ephesians 4:25 Parallel
CommentaryBarnes' Notes on the Bible
Wherefore putting away lying - It may seem strange that the apostle should seriously exhort Christians to put away "lying," implying that they were in the habit of indulging in falsehood. But we are to remember:
(1) that lying is the universal vice of the pagan world. Among the ancient pagans, as among the moderns, it was almost universally practiced. It has been remarked by a distinguished jurist who had spent much time in India, that he would not believe a Hindu on his oath. The same testimony is borne by almost all the missionaries. of the character of pagans everywhere. No confidence can be placed in their statements; and, where there is the slightest temptation to falsehood, they practice it without remorse.
(2) the Ephesians had been recently converted, and were, to a great extent, ignorant of the requirements of the gospel. A conscience has to be "created" when pagans are converted, and it is long before they see the evils of many things which appear to us to be palpably wrong.
(3) the effects of former habits abide long, often, after a man is converted. He who has been in the habit of profane swearing, finds it difficult to avoid it; and he who has been all his life practicing deception, will find himself tempted to practice it still. It was for reasons such as these, probably, that the apostle exhorted the Ephesians to put away "lying," and to speak the truth only. Nor is the exhortation now inappropriate to Christians, and there are many classes to whom it would now be proper - such as the following:
(1) He who is in the habit of concealing the defects of an article in trade, or of commending it for more than its real value - "let him put away lying."
(2) he, or she, who instructs a servant to say that they are not at home, when they are at home: or that they are sick, when they are not sick or that they are engaged, when they are not engaged - "let them put away lying."
(3) he that is in the habit of giving a coloring to his narratives; of conveying a false impression by the introduction or the suppression of circumstances that are important to the right understanding of an account - "let him put away lying."
(4) he that is at no pains to ascertain the exact truth in regard to any facts that may affect his neighbor; that catches up flying rumors without investigating them, and that circulates them as undoubted truth, though they may seriously affect the character and peace of another - "let him put away lying."
(5) he that is in the habit of making promises only to disregard them - "let him put away lying." The community is full of falsehoods of that kind, and they are not all confined to the people of the world. Nothing is more important in a community than simple "truth" - and yet, it is to be feared that nothing is more habitually disregarded. No professing Christian can do any good who has not an unimpeachable character for integrity and truth - and yet who can lay his hand on his breast and say before God that he is in all cases a man that speaks the simple and unvarnished truth?
For we are members one of another - We belong to one body - the church - which is the body of Christ; see the notes Romans 5:12. The idea is, that falsehood tends to loosen the bonds of brotherhood. In the "human body" harmony is observed. The eye never deceives the hand, nor the hand the foot, nor the heart the lungs. The whole move harmoniously as if the one could put the utmost confidence in the other - and falsehood in the church is as ruinous to its interests as it would be to the body if one member was perpetually practicing a deception on another.
LibraryJune 15. "Grow up into Him in all Things" (Eph. Iv. 15).
"Grow up into Him in all things" (Eph. iv. 15). Harvest is a time of ripeness. Then the fruit and grain are fully developed, both in size and weight. Time has tempered the acid of the green fruit. It has been mellowed and softened by the rains and the heat of summer. The sun has tinted it into rich colors, and at last it is ready and ripe to fall into the hand. So Christian life ought to be. There are many things in life that need to be mellowed and ripened. Many Christians have orchards full of …
Rev. A. B. Simpson—Days of Heaven Upon Earth
Seventeenth Sunday after Trinity the Christian Calling and Unity.
Of the Church
The Ascension of Christ
"Keep far from a false charge, and do not kill the innocent or the righteous, for I will not acquit the guilty.
'You shall not steal, nor deal falsely, nor lie to one another.
He who walks with integrity, and works righteousness, And speaks truth in his heart.
Do not be a witness against your neighbor without cause, And do not deceive with your lips.
'These are the things which you should do: speak the truth to one another; judge with truth and judgment for peace in your gates.
so we, who are many, are one body in Christ, and individually members one of another.
but speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in all aspects into Him who is the head, even Christ,
Jump to PreviousFalse. Falsehood Fellow Lying Members Neighbor Neighbour Parts Putting Reason Speak True. Truth Truthfully Wherefore Words
Jump to NextFalse. Falsehood Fellow Lying Members Neighbor Neighbour Parts Putting Reason Speak True. Truth Truthfully Wherefore Words
LinksEphesians 4:25 NIV
Ephesians 4:25 NLT
Ephesians 4:25 ESV
Ephesians 4:25 NASB
Ephesians 4:25 KJV
Ephesians 4:25 Bible Apps
Ephesians 4:25 Biblia Paralela
Ephesians 4:25 Chinese Bible
Ephesians 4:25 French Bible
Ephesians 4:25 German Bible
Ephesians 4:25 Commentaries