New American Standard Bible
Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right.
King James Bible
Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right.
Darby Bible Translation
Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is just.
World English Bible
Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right.
Young's Literal Translation
The children! obey your parents in the Lord, for this is righteous;
Ephesians 6:1 Parallel
CommentaryBarnes' Notes on the Bible
Children - τέκνα tekna This word usually signifies those who are young; but it is used here, evidently, to denote those who were under the care and government of their parents, or those who were not of age.
Obey your parents - This is the first great duty which God has enjoined on children. It is, to do what their parents command them to do. The God of nature indicates that this is duty; for he has impressed it on the minds of all in every age; and the Author of revelation confirms it. It is particularly important:
(1) Because the good order of a family, and hence of the community, depends on it; no community or family being prosperous where there is not due subordination in the household.
(2) because the welfare of the child depends on it; it being of the highest importance that a child should be early taught obedience to "law," as no one can be prosperous or happy who is not thus obedient.
(3) because the child is not competent as yet; to "reason" on what is right, or qualified to direct himself; and, while that is the case, he must be subject to the will of some other person.
(4) because the parent, by his age and experience, is to be presumed to be qualified to direct and guide a child. The love which God has implanted in the heart of a parent for a child secures, in general, the administration of this domestic government in such a way as not to injure the child. A father will not, unless under strong passion or the excitement of intoxication, abuse his authority. He loves the child too much. He desires his welfare; and the placing of the child under the authority of the parent is about the same thing in regard to the welfare of the child, as it would be to endow the child at once with all the wisdom and experience of the parent himself.
(5) it is important, because the family government is designed to be an imitation of the government of God. The government of God is what a perfect family government would be; and to accustom a child to be obedient to a parent, is designed to be one method of leading him to be obedient to God. No child that is disobedient to a parent will be obedient to God; and that child that is most obedient to a father and mother will be most likely to become a Christian, and an heir of heaven. And it may be observed, in general, that no disobedient child is virtuous, prosperous, or happy. Everyone foresees the ruin of such a child; and most of the cases of crime that lead to the penitentiary, or the gallows, commence by disobedience to parents.
In the Lord - That is, as far as their commandments agree with those of God, and no further. No parent can have a right to require a child to steal, or lie, or cheat, or assist him in committing murder, or in doing any other wrong thing. No parent has a right to forbid a child to pray, to read the Bible, to worship God, or to make a profession of religion. The duties and rights of children in such cases are similar to those of wives (see the notes on Ephesians 5:22); and in all cases, God is to be obeyed rather than man. When a parent, however, is opposed to a child; when he expresses an unwillingness that a child should attend a particular church, or make a profession of religion, such opposition should in all cases be a sufficient reason for the child to pause and re-examine the subject. he should pray much, and think much, and inquire much, before, in any case, he acts contrary to the will of a father or mother; and, when he does do it, he should state to them, with great gentleness and kindness, that he believes he ought to love and serve God.
For this is right - It is right:
(1) because it is so appointed by God as a duty;
(2) because children owe a debt of gratitude to their parents for what they have done for them;
(3) because it will be for the good of the children themselves, and for the welfare of society.
LibraryTwenty First Sunday after Trinity the Christian Armor and Weapons.
Text: Ephesians 6, 10-17. 10 Finally, be strong in the Lord, and in the strength of his might. 11 Put on the whole armor of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. 12 For our wrestling is not against flesh and blood, but against the principalities, against the powers, against the worldrulers of this darkness, against the spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. 13 Wherefore take up the whole armor of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and, …
Martin Luther—Epistle Sermons, Vol. III
'The Breastplate of Righteousness'
"But if Ye have Bitter Envying," &C.
The Christian Home
"If any man has a stubborn and rebellious son who will not obey his father or his mother, and when they chastise him, he will not even listen to them,
She said to her, "All that you say I will do."
My son, observe the commandment of your father And do not forsake the teaching of your mother;
Listen to your father who begot you, And do not despise your mother when she is old.
"We have obeyed the voice of Jonadab the son of Rechab, our father, in all that he commanded us, not to drink wine all our days, we, our wives, our sons or our daughters,
Then Jeremiah said to the house of the Rechabites, "Thus says the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel, 'Because you have obeyed the command of Jonadab your father, kept all his commands and done according to all that he commanded you;
Children, be obedient to your parents in all things, for this is well-pleasing to the Lord.
Jump to PreviousChildren Christian Duty Fathers Mothers Obedient Obey Ordered Parents Right Righteous
Jump to NextChildren Christian Duty Fathers Mothers Obedient Obey Ordered Parents Right Righteous
LinksEphesians 6:1 NIV
Ephesians 6:1 NLT
Ephesians 6:1 ESV
Ephesians 6:1 NASB
Ephesians 6:1 KJV
Ephesians 6:1 Bible Apps
Ephesians 6:1 Biblia Paralela
Ephesians 6:1 Chinese Bible
Ephesians 6:1 French Bible
Ephesians 6:1 German Bible
Ephesians 6:1 Commentaries