New American Standard Bible
"He who has received His testimony has set his seal to this, that God is true.
King James Bible
He that hath received his testimony hath set to his seal that God is true.
Darby Bible Translation
He that has received his testimony has set to his seal that God is true;
World English Bible
He who has received his witness has set his seal to this, that God is true.
Young's Literal Translation
he who is receiving his testimony did seal that God is true;
John 3:33 Parallel
CommentaryBarnes' Notes on the Bible
He that hath received his testimony - Hath received and fully believed his doctrine. Hath yielded his heart to its influence.
Hath set to his seal - To "seal" an instrument is to make it sure; to acknowledge it as ours; to pledge our varacity that it is true and binding, as when a man seals a bond, a deed, or a will. Believing a doctrine, therefore, in the heart, is expressed by "sealing it," or by believing it we express our firm conviction that it is true, and that God who has spoken it is true. We vouch for the veracity of God, and assume as our own the proposition that it is the truth of God.
God is true - Is faithful; is the author of the system of doctrines, and will fulfill all that he has promised. We learn here:
1. that to be a true believer is something more than to hold a mere speculative belief of the truth.
2. that to be a believer is to "pledge ourselves" for the truth, to seal it as our own, to adopt it, to choose it, and solemnly assent to it, as a man does in regard to an instrument of writing that is to convey his property, or that is to dispose of it when he dies.
3. Every Christian is a witness for God, and it is his business to show by his life that he believes that God is true to his threatenings and to his promises. See the notes at Isaiah 43:10.
4. It is a solemn act to become a Christian. It is a surrender of all to God, or giving away body, soul, and spirit to him, with a belief that he is true, and alone is able to save.
5. The man that does not do this - that is not willing to pledge his belief that God is true, sets to his seal that God is a liar and unworthy of confidence, 1 John 5:10.
LibraryFebruary 28 Morning
God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.--JOHN 3:16. God . . . hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation; to wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation. Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: …
Anonymous—Daily Light on the Daily Path
April 8 Evening
January 14 Evening
July 3 Morning
"Do not work for the food which perishes, but for the food which endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give to you, for on Him the Father, God, has set His seal."
"I have many things to speak and to judge concerning you, but He who sent Me is true; and the things which I heard from Him, these I speak to the world."
and he received the sign of circumcision, a seal of the righteousness of the faith which he had while uncircumcised, so that he might be the father of all who believe without being circumcised, that righteousness might be credited to them,
Therefore, when I have finished this, and have put my seal on this fruit of theirs, I will go on by way of you to Spain.
1 Corinthians 9:2
If to others I am not an apostle, at least I am to you; for you are the seal of my apostleship in the Lord.
2 Corinthians 1:22
who also sealed us and gave us the Spirit in our hearts as a pledge.
In Him, you also, after listening to the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation-- having also believed, you were sealed in Him with the Holy Spirit of promise,
Jump to PreviousAccepted Certified Clear Declared Faith Received Receives Receiving Seal Sets Solemnly Testimony Truthful True. Witness
Jump to NextAccepted Certified Clear Declared Faith Received Receives Receiving Seal Sets Solemnly Testimony Truthful True. Witness
LinksJohn 3:33 NIV
John 3:33 NLT
John 3:33 ESV
John 3:33 NASB
John 3:33 KJV
John 3:33 Bible Apps
John 3:33 Biblia Paralela
John 3:33 Chinese Bible
John 3:33 French Bible
John 3:33 German Bible
John 3:33 Commentaries