New American Standard Bible
"If anyone is willing to do His will, he will know of the teaching, whether it is of God or whether I speak from Myself.
King James Bible
If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself.
Darby Bible Translation
If any one desire to practise his will, he shall know concerning the doctrine, whether it is of God, or that I speak from myself.
World English Bible
If anyone desires to do his will, he will know about the teaching, whether it is from God, or if I am speaking from myself.
Young's Literal Translation
if any one may will to do His will, he shall know concerning the teaching, whether it is of God, or -- I do speak from myself.
John 7:17 Parallel
CommentaryBarnes' Notes on the Bible
If any man will do his will - Literally, if any man wills or is willing to do the will of God. If there is a disposition in anyone to do that will, though he should not be able perfectly to keep His commandments. To do the will of God is to obey His commandments; to yield our hearts and lives to His requirements. A disposition to do His will is a readiness to yield our intellects, our feelings, and all that we have entirely to Him, to be governed according to His pleasure.
He shall know - He shall have evidence, in the very attempt to do the will of God, of the truth of the doctrine. This evidence is internal, and to the individual it is satisfactory and conclusive. It is of two kinds.
1. He will find that the doctrines which Jesus taught are such as commend themselves to his reason and conscience, and such as are consistent with all that we know of the perfections of God. His doctrines commend themselves to us as fitted to make us pure and happy, and of course they are such as must be from God.
2. An honest desire to obey God will lead a man to embrace the great doctrines of the Bible. He will find that his heart is depraved and inclined to evil, and he will see and feel the truth of the doctrine of depravity; he will find that he is a sinner and needs to be born again; he will learn his own weakness, and see his need of a Saviour, of an atonement, and of pardoning mercy; he will feel that he is polluted, and needs the purifying influence of the Holy Spirit.
Thus, we may learn:
1. That an honest effort to obey God is the easiest way to become acquainted with the doctrines of the Bible.
2. Those who make such an effort will not cavil at any of the doctrines of the Scriptures.
3. This is evidence of the truth of revelation which every person can apply to his own case.
4. It is such evidence as to lead to certainty. No one who has ever made an honest effort to live a pious life, and to do all the will of God, has ever had any doubt of the truth of the Saviour's doctrines, or any doubt that his religion is true and is suited to the nature of man. They only doubt the truth of religion who wish to live in sin.
5. We see the goodness of God in giving us evidence of his truth that may be within every man's reach. It does not require great learning to be a Christian, and to be convinced of the truth of the Bible. It requires an honest heart, and a willingness to obey God.
Whether it be of God - Whether it be divine.
Or whether I speak of myself - Of myself without being commissioned or directed by God.
LibraryJuly 30 Evening
Nicodemus . . . he that came to Jesus by night.--JOHN 7:50. Peter followed him afar off.--Among the chief rulers also many believed on him; but because of the Pharisees they did not confess him, lest they should be put out of the synagogue: for they loved the praise of men more than the praise of God.--The fear of man bringeth a snare: but whoso putteth his trust in the Lord shall be safe. Him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.--A bruised reed shall he not break, and the smoking flax shall …
Anonymous—Daily Light on the Daily Path
Fifteenth Day. The Holy Spirit.
At the Feast of Tabernacles
He leads the humble in justice, And He teaches the humble His way.
The secret of the LORD is for those who fear Him, And He will make them know His covenant.
For the devious are an abomination to the LORD; But He is intimate with the upright.
Evil men do not understand justice, But those who seek the LORD understand all things.
"Many will be purged, purified and refined, but the wicked will act wickedly; and none of the wicked will understand, but those who have insight will understand.
"But he who practices the truth comes to the Light, so that his deeds may be manifested as having been wrought in God."
"Why do you not understand what I am saying? It is because you cannot hear My word.
Jump to PreviousAuthority Chooses Desire Desires Doctrine Find God's Originates Pleasure Practise Ready Speak Speaking Teaching Whether Willing
Jump to NextAuthority Chooses Desire Desires Doctrine Find God's Originates Pleasure Practise Ready Speak Speaking Teaching Whether Willing
LinksJohn 7:17 NIV
John 7:17 NLT
John 7:17 ESV
John 7:17 NASB
John 7:17 KJV
John 7:17 Bible Apps
John 7:17 Biblia Paralela
John 7:17 Chinese Bible
John 7:17 French Bible
John 7:17 German Bible
John 7:17 Commentaries