New American Standard Bible
for they all put in out of their surplus, but she, out of her poverty, put in all she owned, all she had to live on."
King James Bible
For all they did cast in of their abundance; but she of her want did cast in all that she had, even all her living.
Darby Bible Translation
for all have cast in of that which they had in abundance, but she of her destitution has cast in all that she had, the whole of her living.
World English Bible
for they all gave out of their abundance, but she, out of her poverty, gave all that she had to live on."
Young's Literal Translation
for all, out of their abundance, put in, but she, out of her want, all that she had put in -- all her living.'
Mark 12:44 Parallel
CommentaryBarnes' Notes on the Bible
Of their abundance - Of their superfluous store. They have given what they did not "need." They could afford it as well as not, and in doing it they have shown no self-denial.
She of her want - Of her poverty.
All her living - All that she had to live on. She trusted in God to supply her wants, and devoted her little property entirely to him. From this passage we may learn:
1. That God is pleased with offerings made to him and his cause.
2. That it is our duty to devote our property to God. We received it from him, and we shall not employ it in a proper manner unless we feel that we are stewards, and ask of him what we shall do with it. Jesus approved the conduct of all who had given money to the treasury.
3. That the highest evidence of love to the cause of religion is not the "amount" given, but the amount compared with our means.
4. That it "may be" proper to give "all" our property to God, and to depend on his providence for the supply of our wants.
5. That God does not despise the humblest offering, if made in sincerity. He loves a cheerful giver.
6. That there are none who may not in this way show their love to the cause of religion. There are few, very few students in Sunday Schools who may not give as much to the cause of religion as this poor widow; and Jesus would be as ready to approve their offerings as he was hers: and the time to "begin" to be benevolent and to do good is in early life, in childhood.
7. That it is every man's duty to inquire, not how much he gives, but how much compared with what he has; how much self-denial he practices, and what is the "motive" with which it is done.
8. We may remark that few practice self-denial for the purpose of charity. Most give of their abundance - that is, what they can spare without feeling it, and many feel that this is the same as throwing it away. Among all the thousands who give to these objects, how few deny themselves of one comfort, even the least, that they may advance the kingdom of Christ!
LibraryNot Far and not In
'Thou art not far from the kingdom of God.'--Mark xii. 34, 'A bruised reed He will not break, and the smoking flax He will not quench.' Here is Christ's recognition of the low beginnings of goodness and faith. This is a special case of a man who appears to have fully discerned the spirituality and inwardness of law, and to have felt that the one bond between God and man was love. He needed only to have followed out the former thought to have been smitten by the conviction of his own sinfulness, and …
Alexander Maclaren—Expositions of Holy Scripture
The Unity of the Divine Being
Christ and the Sadduccees
The Discerning Scribe
Calling His disciples to Him, He said to them, "Truly I say to you, this poor widow put in more than all the contributors to the treasury;
And a woman who had a hemorrhage for twelve years, and could not be healed by anyone,
"The younger of them said to his father, 'Father, give me the share of the estate that falls to me.' So he divided his wealth between them.
but when this son of yours came, who has devoured your wealth with prostitutes, you killed the fattened calf for him.'
for they all out of their surplus put into the offering; but she out of her poverty put in all that she had to live on."
Jump to PreviousAbundance Cast Contributed Live Need Owned Possessed Poverty Something Spare Superfluity Surplus Thrown Want Wealth Whole
Jump to NextAbundance Cast Contributed Live Need Owned Possessed Poverty Something Spare Superfluity Surplus Thrown Want Wealth Whole
LinksMark 12:44 NIV
Mark 12:44 NLT
Mark 12:44 ESV
Mark 12:44 NASB
Mark 12:44 KJV
Mark 12:44 Bible Apps
Mark 12:44 Biblia Paralela
Mark 12:44 Chinese Bible
Mark 12:44 French Bible
Mark 12:44 German Bible
Mark 12:44 Commentaries