New International Version
Therefore I do not run like someone running aimlessly; I do not fight like a boxer beating the air.
King James Bible
I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air:
Darby Bible Translation
*I* therefore thus run, as not uncertainly; so I combat, as not beating the air.
World English Bible
I therefore run like that, as not uncertainly. I fight like that, as not beating the air,
Young's Literal Translation
I, therefore, thus run, not as uncertainly, thus I fight, as not beating air;
1 Corinthians 9:26 Parallel
CommentaryClarke's Commentary on the Bible
I therefore so run, not as uncertainly - In the foot-course in those games, how many soever ran, only one could have the prize, however strenuously they might exert themselves; therefore, all ran uncertainly; but it was widely different in the Christian course, if every one ran as he ought, each would receive the prize.
The word αδηλως, which we translate uncertainly, has other meanings.
1. It signifies ignorantly; I do not run like one ignorant of what he is about, or of the laws of the course; I know that there is an eternal life; I know the way that leads to it; and I know and feel the power of it.
2. It signifies without observation; the eyes of all the spectators were fixed on those who ran in these races; and to gain the applause of the multitude, they stretched every nerve; the apostle knew that the eyes of all were fixed upon him.
1. His false brethren waited for his halting:
2. The persecuting Jews and Gentiles longed for his downfall:
3. The Church of Christ looked on him with anxiety: And he acted in all things as under the immediate eye of God.
Not as one that beateth the air - Kypke observes, that there are three ways in which persons were said, αερα δερειν, to beat the air.
1. When in practising for the combat they threw their arms and legs about in different ways, thus practising the attitudes of offense and defense. This was termed σκιαμαχια, fighting with a shadow. To this Virgil alludes when representing Dares swinging his arms about, when he rose to challenge a competitor in the boxing match: -
Talis prima Dares caput altum in praelia tollit,
Ostenditque humeros latos, alternaque jactat
Brachia protendens, et verberat ictibus auras.
Aen. v., ver. 375.
Thus, glorying in his strength, in open view
Treasury of Scripture Knowledge
LibraryThird Sunday Before Lent
Text: First Corinthians 9, 24-27; 10, 1-5. 24 Know ye not that they that run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? Even so run; that ye may attain. 25 And every man that striveth in the games exerciseth self-control in all things. Now they do it to receive a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible. 26 I therefore so run, as not uncertainly; so fight I, as not beating the air: 27 but I buffet my body, and bring it into bondage: lest by any means, after that I have preached to others, …
Martin Luther—Epistle Sermons, Vol. II
The Sin of Silence
Though in Order to Establish this Suitable Difference Between the Fruits or Effects of virtue and vice,
An Essay on the Scriptural Doctrine of Immortality
1 Corinthians 14:9
So it is with you. Unless you speak intelligible words with your tongue, how will anyone know what you are saying? You will just be speaking into the air.
I went in response to a revelation and, meeting privately with those esteemed as leaders, I presented to them the gospel that I preach among the Gentiles. I wanted to be sure I was not running and had not been running my race in vain.
2 Timothy 4:7
I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.
Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us,
Jump to PreviousAim Aimlessly Air Beateth Beating Blows Box Combat Doubt Fight Fighting Gives Goal Inflict Run Running Uncertainly Way
Jump to NextAim Aimlessly Air Beateth Beating Blows Box Combat Doubt Fight Fighting Gives Goal Inflict Run Running Uncertainly Way
Links1 Corinthians 9:26 NIV
1 Corinthians 9:26 NLT
1 Corinthians 9:26 ESV
1 Corinthians 9:26 NASB
1 Corinthians 9:26 KJV
1 Corinthians 9:26 Bible Apps
1 Corinthians 9:26 Biblia Paralela
1 Corinthians 9:26 Chinese Bible
1 Corinthians 9:26 French Bible
1 Corinthians 9:26 German Bible
1 Corinthians 9:26 Commentaries
THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica®.