New International Version
so that they will fear you all the time they live in the land you gave our ancestors.
King James Bible
That they may fear thee all the days that they live in the land which thou gavest unto our fathers.
Darby Bible Translation
that they may fear thee all the days that they live upon the land which thou gavest unto our fathers.
World English Bible
that they may fear you all the days that they live in the land which you gave to our fathers.
Young's Literal Translation
so that they fear Thee all the days that they are living on the face of the ground that Thou hast given to our fathers.
1 Kings 8:40 Parallel
CommentaryClarke's Commentary on the Bible
If there be in the land famine - pestilence - The Fourth case includes several kinds of evils:
1. Famine; a scarcity or total want of bread, necessarily springing from the preceding cause, drought.
2. Pestilence; any general and contagious disease.
3. Blasting; any thing by which the crops are injured, so that the ear is never matured; but instead of wholesome grain, there is a black offensive dust.
4. Mildew; any thing that vitiates or corrodes the texture of the stalk, destroys the flowers and blossoms, or causes the young shaped fruits to fall off their stems.
5. Locust, a well known curse in the East, a species of grasshopper that multiplies by millions, and covers the face of the earth for many miles square, destroying every green thing; leaving neither herb nor grass upon the earth, nor leaf nor bark upon the trees.
6. Caterpillar; the locust in its young or nympha state. The former refers to locusts brought by winds from other countries and settling on the land; the latter, to the young locusts bred in the land.
7. An enemy, having attacked their defenced cities, the keys and barriers of the land.
8. Any other kind of plague; that which affects the surface of the body; blotch, blain, leprosy, ophthalmia, etc.
9. Sickness; whatever impaired the strength, or affected the intestines, disturbing or destroying their natural functions.
All such cases were to be brought before the Lord, the persons having a deep sense of the wickedness which induced God thus to afflict, or permit them to be afflicted: for only those who knew the plague of their own hearts, (1 Kings 8:38), the deep-rooted moral corruption of their nature, and the destructive nature and sinfulness of sin, were likely to pray in such a manner as to induce God to hear and forgive.
Treasury of Scripture Knowledge
Library'The Matter of a Day in Its Day'
'At all times, as the matter shall require.'--1 KINGS viii. 59. I have ventured to diverge from my usual custom, and take this fragment of a text because, in the forcible language of the original, it carries some very important lessons. The margin of our Bible gives the literal reading of the Hebrew; the sense, but not the vigorous idiom, of which is conveyed in the paraphrase in our version. 'At all times, as the matter shall require,' is, literally, 'the thing of a day in its day'; and that is …
Alexander Maclaren—Expositions of Holy Scripture
The Next Words Are, which Art in Heaven. ...
The Whole Heart
The Gospel of John
These are the decrees and laws you must be careful to follow in the land that the LORD, the God of your ancestors, has given you to possess--as long as you live in the land.
1 Kings 8:39
then hear from heaven, your dwelling place. Forgive and act; deal with everyone according to all they do, since you know their hearts (for you alone know every human heart),
1 Kings 8:41
"As for the foreigner who does not belong to your people Israel but has come from a distant land because of your name--
But with you there is forgiveness, so that we can, with reverence, serve you.
Jump to PreviousFace Fathers Fear Gavest Ground Live Time Worship
Jump to NextFace Fathers Fear Gavest Ground Live Time Worship
Links1 Kings 8:40 NIV
1 Kings 8:40 NLT
1 Kings 8:40 ESV
1 Kings 8:40 NASB
1 Kings 8:40 KJV
1 Kings 8:40 Bible Apps
1 Kings 8:40 Biblia Paralela
1 Kings 8:40 Chinese Bible
1 Kings 8:40 French Bible
1 Kings 8:40 German Bible
1 Kings 8:40 Commentaries
THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica®.