New International Version
to take over this apostolic ministry, which Judas left to go where he belongs."
King James Bible
That he may take part of this ministry and apostleship, from which Judas by transgression fell, that he might go to his own place.
Darby Bible Translation
to receive the lot of this service and apostleship, from which Judas transgressing fell to go to his own place.
World English Bible
to take part in this ministry and apostleship from which Judas fell away, that he might go to his own place."
Young's Literal Translation
to receive the share of this ministration and apostleship, from which Judas, by transgression, did fall, to go on to his proper place;'
Acts 1:25 Parallel
CommentaryClarke's Commentary on the Bible
That he may take part of this ministry, etc. - Instead of τον κληρον, the lot, which we translate part, τον τοπον, the place, is the reading of ABC*, Coptic, Vulgate, and the Itala in the Codex Bezae, and from them the verse may be read thus, That he may take the place of this ministry and apostleship, (from which Judas fell) and go to his own place; but instead of ιδιον, own, the Codex Alexandrinus, and one of Matthai's MSS., read δικαιον, just - that he might go to his just or proper place.
This verse has been variously expounded:
1. Some suppose that the words, that he might go to his own place, are spoken of Judas, and his punishment in hell, which they say must be the own place of such a person as Judas.
2. Others refer them to the purchase of the field, made by the thirty pieces of silver for which he had sold our Lord. So he abandoned the ministry and apostolate, that he might go to his own place, viz. that which he had purchased.
3. Others, with more seeming propriety, state that his own place means his own house, or former occupation; he left this ministry and apostleship that he might resume his former employment in conjunction with his family, etc. This is primarily the meaning of it in Numbers 24:25 : And Balaam returned to His Own Place, i.e. to his own country, friends, and employment.
4. Others think it simply means the state of the dead in general, independently of either rewards or punishments; as is probably meant by Ecclesiastes 3:20 : All go unto One Place: all are of the dust, and all turn to dust again. But,
5. Some of the best critics assert that the words (as before hinted) belong to Matthias - his own place being the office to which he was about to be elected. Should any object, this could not be called his own place, because he was not yet appointed to it, but hell might be properly called Judas's own place, because, by treason and covetousness, he was fully prepared for that place of torment, it may be answered, that the own or proper place of a man is that for which he is eligible from being qualified for it, though he may not yet possess such a place: so St. Paul, Every man shall receive His Own reward, τον ιδιον μισθον, called there his own, not from his having it already in possession, for that was not to take place until the resurrection of the just; but from his being qualified in this life for the state of glory in the other. See the observations at the end of the chapter.
Treasury of Scripture Knowledge
LibraryJune 3. "Ye Shall Receive the Power of the Holy Ghost" (Acts i. 8).
"Ye shall receive the power of the Holy Ghost" (Acts i. 8). There is power for us if we have the Holy Ghost. God wants us to speak to men so that they will feel it, so that they will never forget it. God means every Christian to be effective, to count in the actual records and results of Christian work. Dear friends, God sent you here to be a power yourself. There is not one of you but is an essential wheel of the machinery, and can accomplish all that God calls you to. I solemnly believe that there …
Rev. A. B. Simpson—Days of Heaven Upon Earth
The Unknown To-Morrow
Tenth Day for God's Spirit on Our Missionaries
The Propagation of Christianity.
He was one of our number and shared in our ministry."
Through him we received grace and apostleship to call all the Gentiles to the obedience that comes from faith for his name's sake.
1 Corinthians 9:2
Even though I may not be an apostle to others, surely I am to you! For you are the seal of my apostleship in the Lord.
For God, who was at work in Peter as an apostle to the circumcised, was also at work in me as an apostle to the Gentiles.
Jump to PreviousApostle Apostleship Apostolic Belongs Fall Fell Go Judas Lot Ministry Occupy Order Part Position Proper Receive Servant Share Shut Sin Transgressing Transgression Turned
Jump to NextApostle Apostleship Apostolic Belongs Fall Fell Go Judas Lot Ministry Occupy Order Part Position Proper Receive Servant Share Shut Sin Transgressing Transgression Turned
LinksActs 1:25 NIV
Acts 1:25 NLT
Acts 1:25 ESV
Acts 1:25 NASB
Acts 1:25 KJV
Acts 1:25 Bible Apps
Acts 1:25 Biblia Paralela
Acts 1:25 Chinese Bible
Acts 1:25 French Bible
Acts 1:25 German Bible
Acts 1:25 Commentaries
THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica®.