New International Version
"Three times a year you are to celebrate a festival to me.
King James Bible
Three times thou shalt keep a feast unto me in the year.
Darby Bible Translation
Thrice in the year thou shalt celebrate a feast to me.
World English Bible
"You shall observe a feast to me three times a year.
Young's Literal Translation
'Three times thou dost keep a feast to Me in a year;
Exodus 23:14 Parallel
CommentaryClarke's Commentary on the Bible
Three times thou shalt keep a feast unto me in the year - The three feasts here referred to were,
1. The feast of the Passover;
2. The feast of Pentecost;
3. The feast of Tabernacles.
1. The feast of the Passover was celebrated to keep in remembrance the wonderful deliverance of the Hebrews from Egypt.
2. The feast of Pentecost, called also the feast of harvest and the feast of weeks, Exodus 34:22, was celebrated fifty days after the Passover to commemorate the giving of the law on Mount Sinai, which took place fifty days after, and hence called by the Greeks Pentecost.
3. The feast of Tabernacles, called also the feast of the ingathering, was celebrated about the 15th of the month Tisri to commemorate the Israelites' dwelling in tents for forty years, during their stay in the wilderness. See on Leviticus 23 (note).
"God, out of his great wisdom," says Calmet, "appointed several festivals among the Jews for many reasons:
1. To perpetuate the memory of those great events, and the wonders he had wrought for the people; for example, the Sabbath brought to remembrance the creation of the world; the Passover, the departure out of Egypt; the Pentecost, the giving of the law; the feast of Tabernacles, the sojourning of their fathers in the wilderness, etc.
2. To keep them faithful to their religion by appropriate ceremonies, and the splendor of Divine service.
3. To procure them lawful pleasures, and necessary rest.
4. To give them instruction; for in their religious assemblies the law of God was always read and explained.
5. To consolidate their social union, by renewing the acquaintance of their tribes and families; for on these occasions they come together from different parts of the land to the holy city."
Besides the feasts mentioned above, the Jews had,
Treasury of Scripture Knowledge
LibraryThe Feast of Ingathering in the End of the Year
'And the feast of harvest, the first-fruits of thy labours, which them hast sown In thy field: and the feast of ingathering, which is in the end of the year, when thou hast gathered in thy labours out of the field.' --EXODUS xxiii. 16. The Israelites seem to have had a double beginning of the year--one in spring, one at the close of harvest; or it may only be that here the year is regarded from the natural point of view--a farmer's year. This feast was at the gathering in of the fruits, which was …
Alexander Maclaren—Expositions of Holy Scripture
The Blessing of Jacob Upon Judah. (Gen. Xlix. 8-10. )
In the Temple at the Feast of Tabernacles.
"Three times a year all the men are to appear before the Sovereign LORD.
"Celebrate the Festival of Weeks with the firstfruits of the wheat harvest, and the Festival of Ingathering at the turn of the year.
Three times a year all your men are to appear before the Sovereign LORD, the God of Israel.
"'These are the LORD's appointed festivals, the sacred assemblies you are to proclaim at their appointed times:
Three times a year all your men must appear before the LORD your God at the place he will choose: at the Festival of Unleavened Bread, the Festival of Weeks and the Festival of Tabernacles. No one should appear before the LORD empty-handed:
1 Samuel 1:3
Year after year this man went up from his town to worship and sacrifice to the LORD Almighty at Shiloh, where Hophni and Phinehas, the two sons of Eli, were priests of the LORD.
1 Kings 9:25
Three times a year Solomon sacrificed burnt offerings and fellowship offerings on the altar he had built for the LORD, burning incense before the LORD along with them, and so fulfilled the temple obligations.
Jump to PreviousCelebrate Feast Festival Observe Three Thrice Times
Jump to NextCelebrate Feast Festival Observe Three Thrice Times
LinksExodus 23:14 NIV
Exodus 23:14 NLT
Exodus 23:14 ESV
Exodus 23:14 NASB
Exodus 23:14 KJV
Exodus 23:14 Bible Apps
Exodus 23:14 Biblia Paralela
Exodus 23:14 Chinese Bible
Exodus 23:14 French Bible
Exodus 23:14 German Bible
Exodus 23:14 Commentaries
THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica®.