New International Version
If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.
King James Bible
And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.
Darby Bible Translation
but if *ye* [are] of Christ, then ye are Abraham's seed, heirs according to promise.
World English Bible
If you are Christ's, then you are Abraham's seed and heirs according to promise.
Young's Literal Translation
and if ye are of Christ then of Abraham ye are seed, and according to promise -- heirs.
Galatians 3:29 Parallel
CommentaryClarke's Commentary on the Bible
And if ye be Christ's - Or, as several good MSS. read, If ye be one in Christ. If ye have all received justification through his blood, and the mind that was in him, then are ye Abraham's seed; ye are that real, spiritual posterity of Abraham, that other seed, to whom the promises were made; and then heirs, according to that promise, being fitted for the rest that remains for the people of God, that heavenly inheritance which was typified by the earthly Canaan, even to the Jews.
1. The Galatians, it appears, had begun well, and for a time run well, but they permitted Satan to hinder, and they stopped short of the prize. Let us beware of those teachers who would draw us away from trusting in Christ crucified. By listening to such the Galatians lost their religion.
2. The temptation that leads us astray may be as sudden as it is successful. We may lose in one moment the fruit of a whole life! How frequently is this the case, and how few lay it to heart! A man may fall by the means of his understanding, as well as by means of his passions.
3. How strange is it that there should be found any backslider! that one who once felt the power of Christ should ever turn aside! But it is still stranger that any one who has felt it, and given in his life and conversation full proof that he has felt it, should not only let it slip, but at last deny that he ever had it, and even ridicule a work of grace in the heart! Such instances have appeared among men.
4. The Jewish covenant, the sign of which was circumcision, is annulled, though the people with whom it was made are still preserved, and they preserve the rite or sign. Why then should the covenant be annulled? This question admits a twofold answer.
1. This covenant was designed to last only for a time, and when that time came, having waxed old, it vanished away.
2. It was long before that void, through want of the performance of the conditions.
The covenant did not state merely, ye shall be circumcised, and observe all the rites and ceremonies of the law; but, ye shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength, and your neighbor as yourself. This condition, which was the very soul of the covenant, was universally broken by that people. Need they wonder, therefore, that God has cast then off? Jesus alone can restore them, and him they continue to reject. To us the new covenant says the same things: Ye shall love the Lord, etc.; if we do not so, we also shall be cut off. Take heed, lest he who did not spare the natural branches, spare not thee; therefore, make a profitable use of the goodness and severity of God.
Treasury of Scripture Knowledge
LibraryJuly 8. "Having Begun in the Spirit, are Ye Now Made Perfect by the Flesh" (Gal. Iii. 3).
"Having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh" (Gal. iii. 3). Grace literally means that which we do not have to earn. It has two great senses always; it comes for nothing and it comes when we are helpless; it doesn't merely help the man that helps himself--that is not the Gospel; the Gospel is that God helps the man who can't help himself. And then there is another thing; God helps the man to help himself, for everything the man does comes from God. Grace is given to the man …
Rev. A. B. Simpson—Days of Heaven Upon Earth
Lessons of Experience
A Case of Conscience Resolved
The Substance of Some Discourse had Between the Clerk of the Peace and Myself; when He came to Admonish Me, According to the Tenor of that Law, by which I was in Prison.
And do not think you can say to yourselves, 'We have Abraham as our father.' I tell you that out of these stones God can raise up children for Abraham.
It was not through the law that Abraham and his offspring received the promise that he would be heir of the world, but through the righteousness that comes by faith.
Now if we are children, then we are heirs--heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory.
In other words, it is not the children by physical descent who are God's children, but it is the children of the promise who are regarded as Abraham's offspring.
1 Corinthians 3:23
and you are of Christ, and Christ is of God.
For if the inheritance depends on the law, then it no longer depends on the promise; but God in his grace gave it to Abraham through a promise.
What I am saying is that as long as an heir is underage, he is no different from a slave, although he owns the whole estate.
Jump to PreviousAbraham Abraham's Belong Christ Christ's Descendants Fulfilment God's Heirs Heritage Indeed Offspring Promise Right Seed True. Undertaking
Jump to NextAbraham Abraham's Belong Christ Christ's Descendants Fulfilment God's Heirs Heritage Indeed Offspring Promise Right Seed True. Undertaking
LinksGalatians 3:29 NIV
Galatians 3:29 NLT
Galatians 3:29 ESV
Galatians 3:29 NASB
Galatians 3:29 KJV
Galatians 3:29 Bible Apps
Galatians 3:29 Biblia Paralela
Galatians 3:29 Chinese Bible
Galatians 3:29 French Bible
Galatians 3:29 German Bible
Galatians 3:29 Commentaries
THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica®.