New International Version
When Jacob had finished giving instructions to his sons, he drew his feet up into the bed, breathed his last and was gathered to his people.
King James Bible
And when Jacob had made an end of commanding his sons, he gathered up his feet into the bed, and yielded up the ghost, and was gathered unto his people.
Darby Bible Translation
And when Jacob had made an end of commanding his sons, he gathered his feet into the bed, and expired, and was gathered to his peoples.
World English Bible
When Jacob made an end of charging his sons, he gathered up his feet into the bed, and yielded up the spirit, and was gathered to his people.
Young's Literal Translation
And Jacob finisheth commanding his sons, and gathereth up his feet unto the bed, and expireth, and is gathered unto his people.
Genesis 49:33 Parallel
CommentaryClarke's Commentary on the Bible
He gathered up his feet into the bed - It is very probable that while delivering these prophetic blessings Jacob sat upon the side of his bed, leaning upon his staff; and having finished, he lifted up his feet into the bed, stretched himself upon it, and expired!
And was gathered unto his people - The testimony that this place bears to the immortality of the soul, and to its existence separate from the body, should not be lightly regarded. In the same moment in which Jacob is said to have gathered up his feet into the bed, and to have expired, it is added, and was gathered unto his people. It is certain that his body was not then gathered to his people, nor till seven weeks after; and it is not likely that a circumstance, so distant in point both of time and place, would have been thus anticipated, and associated with facts that took place in that moment. I cannot help therefore considering this an additional evidence for the immateriality of the soul, and that it was intended by the Holy Spirit to convey this grand and consolatory sentiment, that when a holy man ceases to live among his fellows, his soul becomes an inhabitant of another world, and is joined to the spirits of just men made perfect.
1. It has been conjectured (See Clarke Genesis 37:9 (note)) that the eleven stars that bowed down to Joseph might probably refer to the signs of the Zodiac, which were very anciently known in Egypt, and are supposed to have had their origin in Chaldea. On this supposition Joseph's eleven brethren answered to eleven of these signs, and himself to the twelfth. General Vallancy has endeavored, in his Collectanea de Rebus Hibernicis, vol. vi., part. ii., p. 343, to trace out the analogy between the twelve sons of Jacob and the twelve signs of the Zodiac, which Dr. Hales (Analysis, vol. ii., p. 165) has altered a little, and placed in a form in which it becomes more generally applicable. As this scheme is curious, many readers who may not have the opportunity of consulting the above works will be pleased to find it here. That there is an allusion to the twelve signs of the Zodiac, and probably to their ancient asterisms, may be readily credited; but how far the peculiar characteristics of the sons of Jacob were expressed by the animals in the Zodiac, is a widely different question.
1. Reuben - "Unstable (rather pouring out) as waters" - the sign Aquarius, represented as a man pouring out waters from an urn.
2. Simeon and Levi - "The united brethren" the sign Gemini or the Twins.
3. Judah - "The strong lion" - the sign Leo.
4. Asher - "His bread shall be fat" - the sign Virgo or the Virgin, generally represented as holding a full ear of corn.
5. Issachar - "A strong ass" or ox, both used in husbandry - the sign Taurus or the Bull.
7. Dan - "A serpent biting the horse's heels" - Scorpio, the Scorpion. On the celestial sphere the Scorpion is actually represented as biting the heel of the horse of the archer Sagittarius; and Chelae, "his claws," originally occupied the space of Libra.
8. Joseph - "His bow remained in strength" - the sign Sagittarius, the archer or bowman; commonly represented, even on the Asiatic Zodiacs, with his bow bent, and the arrow drawn up to the head - the bow in full strength.
9. Naphtali - by a play on his name, טלה taleh, the ram - the sign Aries, according to the rabbins.
10. Zebulun - "A haven for ships" - denoted by Cancer, the crab.
11. Gad - "A troop or army" - reversed, dag, a fish - the sign Pisces.
Treasury of Scripture Knowledge
LibraryThe Shepherd, the Stone of Israel
'... The mighty God of Jacob. From thence is the Shepherd, the stone of Israel.'--GENESIS xlix. 24. A slight alteration in the rendering will probably bring out the meaning of these words more correctly. The last two clauses should perhaps not be read as a separate sentence. Striking out the supplement 'is,' and letting the previous sentence run on to the end of the verse, we get a series of names of God, in apposition with each other, as the sources of the strength promised to the arms of the hands …
Alexander Maclaren—Expositions of Holy Scripture
The Messianic Prophecies in the Pentateuch.
General Notes by the American Editor
The Holy Spirit and the Incarnation of the Word. ...
Then Jacob went down to Egypt, where he and our ancestors died.
Then Abraham breathed his last and died at a good old age, an old man and full of years; and he was gathered to his people.
Ishmael lived a hundred and thirty-seven years. He breathed his last and died, and he was gathered to his people.
Then he breathed his last and died and was gathered to his people, old and full of years. And his sons Esau and Jacob buried him.
Then he gave them these instructions: "I am about to be gathered to my people. Bury me with my fathers in the cave in the field of Ephron the Hittite,
The field and the cave in it were bought from the Hittites."
Joseph threw himself on his father and wept over him and kissed him.
Jump to PreviousBed Breathed Charging Commanding Drew End Expired Expireth Feet Finished Finisheth Gathered Ghost Instructions Jacob Last Peoples Spirit Stretching Way Words Yielded
Jump to NextBed Breathed Charging Commanding Drew End Expired Expireth Feet Finished Finisheth Gathered Ghost Instructions Jacob Last Peoples Spirit Stretching Way Words Yielded
LinksGenesis 49:33 NIV
Genesis 49:33 NLT
Genesis 49:33 ESV
Genesis 49:33 NASB
Genesis 49:33 KJV
Genesis 49:33 Bible Apps
Genesis 49:33 Biblia Paralela
Genesis 49:33 Chinese Bible
Genesis 49:33 French Bible
Genesis 49:33 German Bible
Genesis 49:33 Commentaries
THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica®.