New International Version
Then an angel of the Lord appeared to him, standing at the right side of the altar of incense.
King James Bible
And there appeared unto him an angel of the Lord standing on the right side of the altar of incense.
Darby Bible Translation
And an angel of [the] Lord appeared to him, standing on the right of the altar of incense.
World English Bible
An angel of the Lord appeared to him, standing on the right side of the altar of incense.
Young's Literal Translation
And there appeared to him a messenger of the Lord standing on the right side of the altar of the perfume,
Luke 1:11 Parallel
CommentaryClarke's Commentary on the Bible
There appeared - an angel of the Lord - There had been neither prophecy nor angelic ministry vouchsafed to this people for about 400 years. But now, as the Sun of righteousness is about to arise upon them, the day-spring from on high visits them, that they may be prepared for that kingdom of God which was at hand. Every circumstance here is worthy of remark:
1. That an angel should now appear, as such a favor had not been granted for 400 years.
2. The person to whom this angel was sent - one of the priests. The sacerdotal office itself pointed out the Son of God till he came: by him it was to be completed, and in him it was to be eternally established: - Thou art a priest for ever, Psalm 110:4.
3. The place in which the angel appeared - Jerusalem; out of which the word of the Lord should go forth, Isaiah 2:3, and not at Hebron, in the hill country of Judea, where Zacharias lived, Luke 1:39, which was the ordinary residence of the priests, Joshua 21:11, where there could have been few witnesses of this interposition of God, and the effects produced by it.
4. The place where he was when the angel appeared to him - in the temple, which was the place where God was to be sought; the place of his residence, and a type of the human nature of the blessed Jesus, John 2:21.
5. The time in which this was done - the solemn hour of public prayer. God has always promised to be present with those who call upon him. When the people and the priest go hand in hand, and heart with heart, to the house of God, the angel of his presence shall surely accompany them, and God shall appear among them.
6. The employment of Zacharias when the angel appeared - he was burning incense, one of the most sacred and mysterious functions of the Levitical priesthood, and which typified the intercession of Christ: confer Hebrews 7:25, with Hebrews 9:24.
7. The long continued and publicly known dumbness of the priest, who doubted the word thus miraculously sent to him from the Lord: a solemn intimation of what God would do to all those who would not believe in the Lord Jesus. Every mouth shall be stopped.
Treasury of Scripture Knowledge
LibraryJuly 19 Morning
He that is mighty hath done to me great things; and holy is his name.--LUKE 1:49. Who is like unto thee, O Lord, among the gods? who is like thee, glorious in holiness, fearful in praises, doing wonders?--Among the gods there is none like unto thee, O Lord; neither are there any works like unto thy works.--Who shall not fear thee, O Lord, and glorify thy name? for thou only art holy.--Hallowed be thy name. Blessed be the Lord God of Israel; for he hath visited and redeemed his people. Who is this …
Anonymous—Daily Light on the Daily Path
March 24 Morning
Jesus Born the Son of God.
The Key-Note of a Choice Sonnet
The angel of the LORD appeared to her and said, "You are barren and childless, but you are going to become pregnant and give birth to a son.
An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified.
But during the night an angel of the Lord opened the doors of the jail and brought them out.
Jump to PreviousAltar Angel Appeared Incense Messenger Perfume Right Side Standing
Jump to NextAltar Angel Appeared Incense Messenger Perfume Right Side Standing
LinksLuke 1:11 NIV
Luke 1:11 NLT
Luke 1:11 ESV
Luke 1:11 NASB
Luke 1:11 KJV
Luke 1:11 Bible Apps
Luke 1:11 Biblia Paralela
Luke 1:11 Chinese Bible
Luke 1:11 French Bible
Luke 1:11 German Bible
Luke 1:11 Commentaries
THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica®.