Pray for the peace of Jerusalem: they shall prosper that love you.…
I. THE GROUNDS ON WHICH LOVE FOR OUR COUNTRY RESTS.
1. As the seat of all our best enjoyments in private life.
2. As the seat of true religion.
3. As the seat of liberty and laws; a mild, wise and happy government.
II. THE DUTIES TO WHICH LOVE OF OUR COUNTRY GIVES RISE.
1. As private men and Christians, let us cultivate those virtues which are essential to the prosperity of our country. The foundation of all public happiness must be laid in the good conduct of individuals; in their industry, sobriety, justice, and regular attention to the duties of their several stations. Such virtues are the sinews and strength of the state; they are the supports of its prosperity at home, and of its reputation abroad.
2. Let us join to the virtues of private men those which belong to us in a political capacity as subjects and citizens. These must appear, in loyalty to our sovereign, in submission to the authority of rulers and magistrates, and in readiness to support the measures that are taken for public welfare and defence.
(H. Blair, D. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Pray for the peace of Jerusalem: they shall prosper that love thee.