Acquaint now yourself with him, and be at peace: thereby good shall come to you.
I. ITS NATURE. Men are not acquainted with God. They like not to retain God in their thoughts. Lay aside your enmity and your dread, and come and learn something of His mercy and loving kindness. Acquaint yourselves with —
1. His infinite holiness.
2. His perfect justice.
3. His boundless mercy.
4. His everlasting purposes.
II. ITS BENEFITS.
1. Peace. There is no true peace except from the knowledge of God.
2. Present and future good. Religion's ways are ways of pleasantness, and all her paths are peace. Apply —
(1) The time of attaining it. Not tomorrow, but now.
(2) The means of obtaining it. Devout study of God's Word.Devout attendance at the Supper of our Lord. Intercourse with the Lord's people. Perusal of good and devotional books. Ask continually for the gift of the Holy Spirit.
(C. Clayton, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Acquaint now thyself with him, and be at peace: thereby good shall come unto thee.