Acquaint now yourself with him, and be at peace: thereby good shall come to you.
I. WHY WE SHOULD ACQUAINT OURSELVES WITH GOD. The fact is that our very salvation depends upon our knowledge of God and of our Saviour Jesus Christ.
1. That a better acquaintance with God will develop a more intense love for Him. We find a friend, and the more we study his traits of character and learn the true principles of his friendship, the more intense will become our love for him.
2. A closer acquaintance with God will develop in us a deeper work of grace. Grace and the knowledge of God are always associated in the Bible (Ephesians 4:15; 1 Peter 2:2; 2 Peter 3:18).
3. In a closer acquaintance with God, our thoughts, and our words, and our very habits of life become assimilated unto the Divine Mind and ways.
4. With our acquaintance with God grows our delight in His service (Psalm 1:1, 2; Psalm 119:35, 47, 92).
II. HOW SHALL WE SECURE THIS ACQUAINTANCE WITH GOD?
1. Through His Word.
2. We get acquainted with God by living much with Him in prayer.
3. By persistently submitting our wills to His will. Our friends delight to confer and counsel with us so long as they feel that we are putting their counsels to practical use.
4. We get better acquainted with God by carefully noting our experiences in life.
III. WHAT MUST BE THE CONSEQUENCES OF SUCH AN ACQUAINTANCE WITH GOD? Such an acquaintance must result —
1. In a fixedness of purpose.
2. Proficiency in His service.
3. Constant peace and joy.
(J. C. Jacoby.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Acquaint now thyself with him, and be at peace: thereby good shall come unto thee.