Acquaint now yourself with him, and be at peace: thereby good shall come to you.
I. ALL COUNSELS THAT A MAN MAY GIVE, OR HIS FELLOW RECEIVE, THERE IS NONE SO IMPORTANT AS THAT OF CULTIVATING ACQUAINTANCE WITH GOD. Acquaintance signifies more than a bare knowledge. Acquaintance with God is included in three particulars.
1. In a spiritual knowledge of the being of God.
2. In a union of will, and a union of way, with that of God.
3. In a perpetual communion with God.
II. OF ALL TIMES, SEASONS, AND OPPORTUNITIES, THERE IS NO TIME LIKE THE PRESENT TO CULTIVATE ACQUAINTANCE WITH GOD. Consider —
1. That this matter is important.
2. That there is no time like the present time.
3. That the future is quite uncertain.
4. That the longer a man lives in sin, the farther he goes from God.
III. OF ALL THE BENEFITS WHICH MAN RECEIVES, OR GOD BESTOWS, THERE ARE NONE LIKE THOSE BLESSINGS THAT FOLLOW ACQUAINTANCE WITH GOD. "Good shall thereby come unto thee."
1. All the good in nature.
2. All good in grace.
3. All the good in glory. How miserable must be the state of that man who has no acquaintance with God.
Parallel VersesKJV: Acquaint now thyself with him, and be at peace: thereby good shall come unto thee.