And you has he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;
I. THE SCRIPTURE PHRASES BY WHICH THE SINFUL STATE OF MAN IS DESCRIBED. Sleep. "Therefore let us not sleep, as do others," etc. (1 Thessalonians 5:6, etc.). "Wherefore he saith, 'Awake thou that sleepest,'" etc. (Ephesians 5:14). Death in trespasses (see text). "And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh," etc. (Colossians 2:13). A corrupt tree. "A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit," etc. (Matthew 7:18). "For he shall be like the heath in the desert," etc. (Jeremiah 17:6). Darkness. "But ye, brethren, are not in darkness," etc. (1 Thessalonians 5:4). Led captive, etc. (Ephesians 2:3). Enmity (Romans 8:7).
II. HOW THE SCRIPTURES DESCRIBE THE CHANGE THAT IS WROUGHT IN THOSE THAT SHALL BE SAVED AND STATE GOD AS THE AUTHOR OF IT. Being quickened — by God (see text). Born again — by God (John 3:3; 1 Peter 1:3). Washed and sprinkled — by God (Ezekiel 16:8, 9; Ezekiel 36:25). Writing the law in the heart — by God (Jeremiah 31:33). Grafting — by God (Romans 11:23-25). Creating light to shine where was darkness (2 Corinthians 4:6).
III. NO MEANS SHORT OF GOD CAN QUICKEN AND CONVERT SUCH A SINNER. Let us consider everything that is likely.
1. Will miracles? No (Exodus 8:16-18; John 12:10-12; Acts 4:16, 17).
2. Will the fulfilment of prophecies? No (Cf. Matthew 27:62, etc. with Matthew 28:11, etc.).
3. Will prosperity? No (Psalm 73:3).
4. Will adversity? No (Proverbs 27:22).
5. Will preaching the gospel? No (1 Corinthians 1:23).
6. Will one rising from the dead? No (Luke 16:31). The necessity of a Divine agent in the Church of God.
IV. EVIDENCES OF BEING QUICKENED.
1. A feeling sense of the evil of sin (Romans 7:18; Psalm 38:3-7).
2. A dying to self-confidence, and a trusting in Christ alone (Romans 7:7-11; Galatians 2:19, 20; Philippians 3:7-9).
3. An appetite for the means of grace (1 John 2:3).
4. Love to the brethren as such (1 John 3:13, 14).
(H. Foster, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;