And you has he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;
I. THE CHANGE HERE NOTICED IS OF A REMARKABLY DECIDED NATURE. A change of the whole human character, by which the dispositions of men become thoroughly altered from that which is evil to that which is good, and by which there are implanted and formed within them those spiritual graces which are essentially connected with the bestowment of the Divine favour and the restoration of the Divine image.
II. THIS CHANGE IS ACCOMPLISHED PURELY BY DIVINE AGENCY.
1. The agency of the Spirit of God in the work of renovation is sovereign.
2. The agency of the Spirit is mysterious.
3. The agency of the Spirit is connected with the instrumentality of the Word.
III. THIS CHANGE IS ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL FOR THE SALVATION OF THE IMMORTAL SOUL.
1. This is evident, if you consider the occupation, society, and enjoyments of heaven.
2. It is also evident by considering the express testimony of God on the subject.
Parallel VersesKJV: And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;