Pray for the peace of Jerusalem: they shall prosper that love you.…
1. God established it. The Temple of Solomon was builded by human hands and royal treasures. The king put his own money into it, but God was the real architect and builder. So the Church of Christ to-day is the purchase of the Redeemer's blood. It is God's instrumentality to bring the race back to God.
2. The history of what it has accomplished is another ground of loving, loyal attachment to the Church. It is more than an idea, it is an influence; more than a mere plan, even a power and blessing. It has brought light into human darkness, joy to human grief; it has brought help to the weary and fallen, inspiration H those who were disheartened.
3. It is the only regenerative power to which we may look for the future. Break down the Church of Christ, what else can bring salvation? Education, philosophy, science, and commerce, all the material wealth of the earth cannot take the place of the truth of God, of which His Church is a witness and herald. Take away the Church and you take sway the Gospel itself. In this materialistic age the Church exalts man's spiritual needs. Amid conflicting speculations, when men are saying, "Lo, here! lo, there," the Church of God points out the true way of life. The Church is the school of the soul. It defines real manhood. The Church aims at the "perfect man in Christ Jesus." In Him we are "complete," and by no other method of discipline and culture.
4. We should love the Church because it is our birthplace. When welcomed to heaven it will not be nationality or language that will characterize us. It is "in Zion" that this man and that man will say, "I was born."
5. The Church is our mother. She has fed us and nourished and taught us. We cannot but love her. She cared for us in weakness and spiritual infancy. Surely we should be base indeed to neglect her.
6. The Church is our home. This world is beautiful, but it is but the mere environment of our spiritual life, an incident in our absolute and eternal destiny. The soul can only find a home, restful and satisfying, in this fellowship with Him and His chosen ones we call the Church of Christ.
(C. M. Griffin, D. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Pray for the peace of Jerusalem: they shall prosper that love thee.