And when the king came in to see the guests, he saw there a man which had not on a wedding garment:…
I. AT THIS FEAST THERE WAS BUT ONE CONDITION OF ACCEPTANCE — the wearing of a particular garment, Faith in Christ.
1. The wedding garment had no merit in itself: faith has no intrinsic worth.
2. It was all-important because commanded by the king: the fact that faith, as the instrument of justification, is ordained of God endows it with importance.
3. It was no arbitrary symbol.
4. It was highly significant.
II. THERE WAS ONE WHO FAILED TO COMPLY WITH THIS CONDITION. Of whom is he the type?
1. He was in the guest-chamber.
2. He desired to eat of the feast.
3. He remained in the guest-chamber until the king came.
4. He may have been highly esteemed by the rest.
III. THE PROBABLE REASONS OF HIS NON-COMPLIANCE. Pride, self-deception, pride of intellect.
Parallel VersesKJV: And when the king came in to see the guests, he saw there a man which had not on a wedding garment: