And Rachel and Leah answered and said to him, Is there yet any portion or inheritance for us in our father's house?
1. It becometh wives, especially in good families, to listen unto advice of husbands from God.
2. God can make them that disagree in a family sweetly to concur to do His work.
3. It is unnatural for children to find no portions in their father's house, when they abound.
4. Such brands of cruelty are left upon unnatural fathers by the Spirit (ver. 14).
5. It is cruel for fathers to use their children as slaves and make merchandize of them.
6. It is savage for parents to consume the substance of children for whom they should provide.
7. Such unnatural dealings, in God's justice, alienate hearts of children from parents (ver. 15).
8. It is fit to consider how God recompenseth cruelties of unnatural parents in depriving them of their children.
9. What God giveth to parents and children may be justly owned by them.
10. Good women will be free and helpful to their husbands to go and do whatever is the will of God unto them (ver. 16).
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And Rachel and Leah answered and said unto him, Is there yet any portion or inheritance for us in our father's house?