Then Jacob rose up, and set his sons and his wives on camels;…
1. Concurrence of all things with the call of God points out the time of man's obedience to him.
2. He that hath God's call for himself and others to any undertaking should prepare first for it.
3. It concerns husbands and fathers to provide for convenient motions of wives and children upon God's call (ver. 17).
4. Prudence teacheth men to order all their substance as motions rightly upon God's call.
5. Justice will suffer no man to take anything but that which is his own.
6. Courage becometh God's servants to break through all difficulties to follow God (ver. 18) and go where He calleth them.
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Then Jacob rose up, and set his sons and his wives upon camels;