Then Jacob rose up, and set his sons and his wives on camels;…
1. Providence finds work to call off such as would hinder obedience to His work from His servants.
2. Hard it is for souls bred up in superstition to be wholly taken off from it.
3. There may be a temptation upon children to rob parents, but it is grievous wickedness.
4. Hearts not purged will have their superstitions and means of will-worship, though they steal them.
5. God suffers such irregular practices in good families sometimes for the trial of His own (ver. 19).
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Then Jacob rose up, and set his sons and his wives upon camels;