And it was told Laban on the third day that Jacob was fled.…
1. The worst dealers are most apt to question others for their doings though good.
2. Violence questions innocency for escaping from its heart, though God call it.
3. The interrogatories of oppression pretend captivity of daughters, when they go freely (ver. 26).
4. Unreasonable oppressors require a reason of the innocent's escape, where there needs none to be rendered; it being apparent.
5. Injurious men are displeased when the righteous escape without their knowledge.
6. Hypocritical violence may pretend a free dismission of the righteous, which it never meant. Laban's music (ver. 27).
7. Unnatural fathers are apt to question others as causes of their unnaturalness to children.
8. Wicked and foolish men are very forward to charge the innocent with doing wickedly (ver. 28).
(G. Hughes, B. D. .)
Parallel VersesKJV: And it was told Laban on the third day that Jacob was fled.