And it was told Laban on the third day that Jacob was fled.…
1. Faithfulness in good servants makes them undergo day and night labours for the good of their rulers.
2. Heat and cold consumptions with restless nights will grace incline to endure to honour God in service.
3. Such faithful service is a testimony against the wrongs and injustice of cruel masters (ver. 40).
4. Unwearied doth grace make souls to be in the service to which they are called by God.
5. Faithfulness will not let a soul to take wages or receive good gratis.
6. The best service may be repaid with hardest measure from griping masters.
7. Good service will rise in judgment against the hard dealings of evil rulers (ver. 41).
8. Where man is injurious God Himself will plead for righteous servants.
9. The true God is known to be the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.
10. Propriety in God and fear of Him is the best way of knowing God.
11. It is the design of wicked men to undo those in this world whom God doth own and will prosper in it.
12. God takes special notice of the sufferings and faithful doings of His servants towards wicked men.
13. God rebukes the envious and malicious spirit of cruel men against His righteous servants.
14. God's approbation of His own and reprehension of the wicked is a full defence against false charges or criminations (ver. 42).
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And it was told Laban on the third day that Jacob was fled.