And Mizpah; for he said, The LORD watch between me and you, when we are absent one from another.…
1. Injurious persons are most apt to suspect the innocent for doing wrong.
2. Wicked men would not have others wrong their children though they do it themselves.
3. Nature denieth polygamy though men's lusts design and plead for it.
4. Want of human witness to require fealty is no ground of breaking covenant security.
5. God Himself is witness to the covenants of men, and will see right to be done by them or judge for it.
6. The most fraudulent men may be strict upon others to press on them the testimony of God (ver. 50).
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And Mizpah; for he said, The LORD watch between me and thee, when we are absent one from another.