And Mizpah; for he said, The LORD watch between me and you, when we are absent one from another.…
1. Treacherous, deceitful men are most fearful of hurt pursuing them. So Laban.
2. Guilty fear makes men solicitous and intent to save themselves.
3. Sinful solicitousness for safety is full of words to little purpose (ver. 51).
4. Jealousy groundless contents not itself with God's witness, but will have visible assurance.
5. Wickedness may sometimes be content not to do harm to others when it is afraid itself.
6. The most injurious are most solicitous to secure themselves from the innocent, who think no harm unto them (ver. 52).
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And Mizpah; for he said, The LORD watch between me and thee, when we are absent one from another.