And Mizpah; for he said, The LORD watch between me and you, when we are absent one from another.…
1. An oath of God is a just means of confirmation to a lawful covenant for setting things out of doubt.
2. Superstitious men, though convinced of the true way of God, yet worship and swear in old corrupt ways.
3. Oaths taken by false gods, or the true in false ways, are yet binding.
4. in making peace with idolaters it is lawful to take their corrupt swearing, but net to follow it.
5. True saints, when called to swear, must do it in the true fear of the true God.
6. It is just for saints to glorify God by swearing in just cases and making Him Judge (ver. 53).
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And Mizpah; for he said, The LORD watch between me and thee, when we are absent one from another.