And he said, Cursed be Canaan; a servant of servants shall he be to his brothers.…
1. God by His prophets speaks good unto the pious, as well as evil to the wicked seed.
2. Noah and the prophets spake of some good to the Church, which themselves saw not. As here to Shem's seed.
3. Prophecies of good unto the Church are best given and received with blessing unto God.
4. The promise of Jehovah's being the God of His Church is the great blessing (Psalm 144:15).
5. Jehovah is more peculiarly the God of some men than of others, as here in Shem.
6. Where God is truly Lord of His people, all adversaries are made servants to them.
7. The Church shall in its appointed seasons triumph in God, and all enemies be laid under her foot.
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
God shall enlarge Japheth. —
Parallel VersesKJV: And he said, Cursed be Canaan; a servant of servants shall he be unto his brethren.